Tuesday 10 December 2013

Coffee Exchange

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I was recommended the bagels from the Coffee Exchange by another fellow nom seeker.  Since I was hankering for a New York bagel experience, I chose the Reuben bagel with caraway seeds.  The Coffee Exchange have a range of bagels with a variety of fillings:  off-the-bone ham, smoked salmon and capers, etc. 



The bagel wasn't a true boiled bagel and was more like a bread roll but nonetheless it was tasty with the sprinkling of caraway.  I ended up toasting the bagel as it felt rather stale so I rationalised I will replace the stale texture with a toasted one.  Once toasted, this was an amazing beast.  The gruyere was melted just so and the silverside was very flavourful and salty.  I would have liked a bit more sauerkraut in my Reuben.  All in all, there was about a teaspoon sized dollop of sauerkraut.  I wanted a bit more of the stuff to balance out the dryness of the bagel.  It was missing the traditional thousand island dressing but it had a tasty home made mayo alternative.  So not a true traditional Reuben but definitely a nice sandwich once toasted. 

On a separate occasion, I tried the crispy chicken roti.  This was better than I thought.  The roti had flecks of coriander in it which was a bit different from your traditional roti.  The crispy chicken strips had a slightly spicy cayenne coating and it was not dry. 



I also tried the carrot cake.  The Coffee Exchange boasts that all cakes are baked on premises and that the carrot cake was apparently a recipe from the hummingbird café in the UK.  I love carrot cake and can sometimes be put off ordering one because of the scary thick layer of icing accompanying it.  However this carrot cake only had a teensy wee bit of cream cheese  and pistachio crumbs on top which suited me fine.  The carrot cake was not as carroty as I had hoped but it had a nice gingerbread taste and texture. 



The deets:

Location:
Coffee Exchange
1 Little Collins St, Melbourne, VIC
Ph:  03 9654 5343

Cost:
Approx $15 for bagel and cake.  $11 for the roti. 

Ambience:
Casual dining and takeaway.  Nice al fresco area which is heated during the winter. 

Nom again:
Maybe. 


Coffee Exchange on Urbanspoon

Until next time,
Nom Seeker, Glutt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...